Browse Exhibits (4 total)
Pottawatomie County was organized on February 20, 1857, by Michael Floersch; Jacob Henry Haid; Andrew Noll, Michael Repp; Emil Ebert; Franz Anton Dekat; and Gabriel Zoeller. Named for the Potawatomie Indians, this county was one of the early sites of the Kansas Pacific Railroad in 1867, and saw the building of Tuttle Creek Reservoir in the 1950s (Kansas Historical Society).
A view of a band leading a parade in Onaga, Kansas. Also visible are spectators, men on horseback, an automobile, parade floats drawn by teams of men, horse-drawn carriages, a water tower, utility poles and power lines, and buildings and businesses, many with awnings, along the city street. Source: Kansas Historical Society
Student research featured in this exhibit highlights the success and strife brought by the railroad, as well as a feature piece on the Potawatomie tribe. The studies featured are driven by oral histories, field research, primary documents including photographs and historic maps collected by students. This exhibit contributes to the growing collection of rural history in one of Kansas' most historic and pivotal counties.
Clay County was named for the county for Henry Clay of Kentucky by the Territorial Legislature. It was organized on August 10, 1866. Indian outbreaks from 1857 and 1864 forced the early settlers out of the county. The establishment of the English settlement of Wakefield Colony in 1869, brought not only these new people to the county, but their expertise in farming contributed greatly to the agriculture of the area. (Kansas Historical Society)
This is a photograph of the 1918 Armistice Day celebration in Clay Center, Kansas. Visible is a stone monument on a wheeled platform, a band, spectators, automobiles and horse-drawn carriages, businesses and buildings, and American flags. November 11, 1918
The collection of research featured in this exhibit traces the growth and success of some Clay County towns, and the demise of those towns lost in Clay County, Kansas.
Washington county was one of the first 33 counties organized by the Territorial Legislature, but was not organized until April 9, 1860. The Oregon Trail passed through the northwest portion of the county assisting in making the area known to settlers, and establishing some businesses in the county. The Pony Express route came through the northwest portion of the county in 1860-1861, roughly following the Oregon Trail route. Washington County Courthouse and most of Washington was destroyed by a tornado on July 4, 1932 (Kansas Historical Society).
This is a view of a large flock of sheep in front of a barn on the Eddy farm in Washington County, Kansas. Source: (Kansas Historical Society)
Riley county was one of the original 33 counties created by the Territorial Legislature on March 8, 1855. In 1852 Camp Center was established near the junction of the Smoky Hill and Republican rivers. In 1853 the fort was renamed Fort Riley. The fort has been the major influence in the county's history. Today it is the home of the U. S. Army's First Division. (Kansas Historical Society)
FORT RILEY, c. 1895. Looking from NW of present day Main Post, this picture shows the housing of Forysth and Sheridan Avenues. Credit: Fort Riley