Browse Items (24 total)

  • Tags: Kansas

Holland, Dickinson County

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2236/archive/files/311c86198ca213195d0a2cc64acdf0a6.jpg
Families in Holland, Kansas, a Dickinson County town seven miles south of Abilene, sought to form a community that could provide a education for their children, respite from the continuous toil the soil required, and, eventually, a structure to…

Buckeye, Dickinson County

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2236/archive/files/e65f58aa01aca1ead6eea3f3b4b52574.jpg
It was a Tuesday, April 5, 1870, when a group of approximately two hundred people from Ohio emigrated to Buckeye Township, attracted by the promise of a homestead and prosperity. Residents faced many economic challenges over the years, and now only a…

Tipton, Mitchell County

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2236/archive/files/7db281eefab861b8150a2de41e086cf8.jpg
William A. Pitt and fellow settlers from Trier, Germany, first settled near Carr Creek, but flooding encouraged them to relocate to the top of a nearby hill. They called their settlement Pittsburg and, later, Tipton.

Swedesburg, Clay County

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2236/archive/files/c41f70c2c5d771f5509988ff24d0b8cb.jpg
Swedish immigrants established the first homestead in what became Garfield Township in 1868. Churches provided the foundation of the Swedesburg community, which overcame the Great Depression, both world wars, and a 1973 tornado.

Navarre, Dickinson County

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2236/archive/files/c29f561a1d4b0d2e81bd39a5a67e6019.jpg
Navarre was organized around the school, the church, and starting in 1887, the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe railroad. Fire destroyed much of the town in 1939, and it never recovered.

Hiattville, Bourbon County

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2236/archive/files/ca13baff4e88f5cb237170ccd8f52850.jpg
Hiattville was once a booming town, its population increasing from 50 to 500 in the 1880s. Many residents left after a 1905 fire, and the post office finally closed in 1986.

Dillon, Dickinson County

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2236/archive/files/3ae1698891603cc015ef30ef108d67e7.jpg
Today at what used to be the center of the town of Dillon are three houses and the Dillon Elevator. This is what is left of the town of Dillon, which once had a population of over 1,000.

Diamond Springs, Morris County

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2236/archive/files/f4a8c6da93339bc447d9221a3df77628.jpg
Diamond Springs first began as a supply point on the Santa Fe Trail, but proslavery forces destroyed it in 1863. After the Civil War, settlers from Illinois founded a new Diamond Springs about three miles south of the original site.

Colony, Anderson County

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2236/archive/files/4b842d3e22618c6f2c2f997a3b1856f9.jpg
Originally called Divide, the town of Colony began as a tavern and later a depot on the Leavenworth, Lawrence, and Galveston railroad. In the early twentieth century, it was known as the "Hay Capital of the World."

Bloomington, Osborne County

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2236/archive/files/a934cb01985a0cd4dbe8c41747488d33.jpg
The town of Bloomington, Kansas, started out as Tilden in 1870 and received its name change three years later. At its peak, around 1930, Bloomington had seventy-five residents and boasted a bank, grocery store, telephone company, restaurant,…