Browse Items (21 total)

  • Tags: Kansas

African-American Landowners.jpg
This paper explores the agricultural history of Clay County, Kansas, and the African American workers who persevered during the time. Sources used were newspaper articles, the class reader, websites, and a book about Broughton, Kansas.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2236/archive/files/eda7794f743ef055c4c167c0bf89f2ad.jpg
This study illustrates the lost town of America City in Nemaha County, Kansas, from its hopeful founding to its imminent decline. Originally built at what would become the southern edge of the county, America City’s history exhibits an almost perfect…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2236/archive/files/a934cb01985a0cd4dbe8c41747488d33.jpg
The town of Bloomington, Kansas, started out as Tilden in 1870 and received its name change three years later. At its peak, around 1930, Bloomington had seventy-five residents and boasted a bank, grocery store, telephone company, restaurant,…

The District 27 class of 1938. Source: Wabaunsee County Historical Society
Bradford, located in Section 23 of Wilmington Township, Wabaunsee County, Kansas, was a small community that tells a unique story of racial coexistence and rural population decline. Black and white residents both called the area home and coexisted in…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2236/archive/files/e65f58aa01aca1ead6eea3f3b4b52574.jpg
It was a Tuesday, April 5, 1870, when a group of approximately two hundred people from Ohio emigrated to Buckeye Township, attracted by the promise of a homestead and prosperity. Residents faced many economic challenges over the years, and now only a…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2236/archive/files/4b842d3e22618c6f2c2f997a3b1856f9.jpg
Originally called Divide, the town of Colony began as a tavern and later a depot on the Leavenworth, Lawrence, and Galveston railroad. In the early twentieth century, it was known as the "Hay Capital of the World."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2236/archive/files/f4a8c6da93339bc447d9221a3df77628.jpg
Diamond Springs first began as a supply point on the Santa Fe Trail, but proslavery forces destroyed it in 1863. After the Civil War, settlers from Illinois founded a new Diamond Springs about three miles south of the original site.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2236/archive/files/3ae1698891603cc015ef30ef108d67e7.jpg
Today at what used to be the center of the town of Dillon are three houses and the Dillon Elevator. This is what is left of the town of Dillon, which once had a population of over 1,000.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2236/archive/files/ca13baff4e88f5cb237170ccd8f52850.jpg
Hiattville was once a booming town, its population increasing from 50 to 500 in the 1880s. Many residents left after a 1905 fire, and the post office finally closed in 1986.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2236/archive/files/311c86198ca213195d0a2cc64acdf0a6.jpg
Families in Holland, Kansas, a Dickinson County town seven miles south of Abilene, sought to form a community that could provide a education for their children, respite from the continuous toil the soil required, and, eventually, a structure to…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2