Browse Items (15 total)
- Tags: Lost Towns
Swedish settlers founded Walsburg in 1866, naming it after nearby Walnut Creek. A small Swedish community grew there for decades. However, after the Union Pacific Railroad left town in 1935, Walsburg declined and became a lost community.
Families in Holland, Kansas, a Dickinson County town seven miles south of Abilene, sought to form a community that could provide a education for their children, respite from the continuous toil the soil required, and, eventually, a structure to…
It was a Tuesday, April 5, 1870, when a group of approximately two hundred people from Ohio emigrated to Buckeye Township, attracted by the promise of a homestead and prosperity. Residents faced many economic challenges over the years, and now only a…
William A. Pitt and fellow settlers from Trier, Germany, first settled near Carr Creek, but flooding encouraged them to relocate to the top of a nearby hill. They called their settlement Pittsburg and, later, Tipton.
Swedish immigrants established the first homestead in what became Garfield Township in 1868. Churches provided the foundation of the Swedesburg community, which overcame the Great Depression, both world wars, and a 1973 tornado.
Diamond Springs first began as a supply point on the Santa Fe Trail, but proslavery forces destroyed it in 1863. After the Civil War, settlers from Illinois founded a new Diamond Springs about three miles south of the original site.
While it may be overlooked today, Aubry, Kansas, played a key role in the Civil War and the history of the Kansas but was out-competed by the nearby…