Browse Items (3 total)

  • Tags: agriculture

Bloomington, Osborne County

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2236/archive/files/a934cb01985a0cd4dbe8c41747488d33.jpg
The town of Bloomington, Kansas, started out as Tilden in 1870 and received its name change three years later. At its peak, around 1930, Bloomington had seventy-five residents and boasted a bank, grocery store, telephone company, restaurant,…

Colony, Anderson County

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2236/archive/files/4b842d3e22618c6f2c2f997a3b1856f9.jpg
Originally called Divide, the town of Colony began as a tavern and later a depot on the Leavenworth, Lawrence, and Galveston railroad. In the early twentieth century, it was known as the "Hay Capital of the World."

Sylvia, Reno County

Sylvia Roller Mill, 1903.jpg
This study describes the once burgeoning town of Sylvia in Reno County, Kansas. Propelled by local agriculture and a railroad line laid by the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Company, Sylvia saw impressive growth during the latter half of the 19th…